Mathematical Methods for Engineers I

Announcements:

Review sessions have been scheduled! Please come with questions, as we're not putting together an agenda. We have two of them (both in Thimann 001):

Monday (12/15) 10-11am

Tuesday (12/16) 4-5pm

Practice exams, solutions, and review sheets (click Student Resources and then Review Sheets and Practice Exams). Our course is somewhere between A&C in terms of topics, but you should just pick any exams to do based on the topics you want to review. Keep in mind that these aren't written by me, but should still be reasonable practice problems. Make sure you review the iClicker questions from lecture as well!

Tenth HW is due Friday (12/12) 5pm - Homework Box #6 in Jack's Lounge (in class is also fine) - make sure to write your section on your HW! Remember - we never take late homework ever, for any reason whatsoever!

There will be no sections the week of Thanksgiving. There is class on Wednesday 11/26.

Tuesday, 11/11 is a holiday so there will be no section or office hours. If you're in the Tuesday evening section, then please try to attend one of the other sections during the week. I tried to make the instructions for the Matlab section self-contained enough that you should also be able to do it on your own. Don't hesitate to ask questions on Piazza if you're having trouble!

Midterm

Midterm Solutions

Review questions for midterm - supplementary exercises at the end of the Chapters. This is not totally comprehensive, please look over the homework solutions for the previous homeworks as well as the iClicker questions from the lecture slides (posted in the Schedule tab as well as on Piazza).

Ch1 - 1,3,7,9,11,15,17,21
Ch2 - 1,3,5,7,17
Ch3 - 1,3,5,9,11

The midterm with cover up to section 3.2 in the book (Friday's reading). I won't get far enough into 3.3 on Monday to put that material on there. You can bring a single sheet of paper (size A4) with notes on it to the midterm. You can't use calculators, cell phones, the book, etc. and I will design the problems accordingly so that the arithemtic isn't too hairy. You'll need a blue book for your solutions. The review session will be Tues (4:30-5:30p) in Thimann 001. Kevin will have extra office hours on Tuesday from 1-3pm. 

I made a mistake in class when explaining the second iClicker question on Wed - 10/22. Please take a look at my post on Piazza and the lecture notes that I posted with the corrected explanation.

Totally artistic map of how to get to Jack's Lounge 

Woo - we have a Piazza page now where you can post and answer questions! Sign up here.

LSS tutoring sign-up page

Office Hours:

Kevin Moore - Tues/Thurs 1-2pm (Baskin 357B) & by appointment

Lydia Korre - Wed 4:30-6:30pm (Baskin 312 C/D)

Aya Furutani - Tues 10:30-11:30am (Baskin 312 C/D)

Instructors and Assistants